Cleveland browns draft results
Official subreddit of The Cleveland Browns
2010.08.20 23:58 relic2279 Official subreddit of The Cleveland Browns
Official subreddit of The Cleveland Browns
2010.06.15 17:57 relic2279 Firespinning - Poi, staff, breathing, darts, juggling, fans and diabolos
2014.05.17 06:23 fantasyMLShelper AFC Cleveland Royals: News & Discussion
A subreddit to gather around and talk about the NPSL team, **AFC Cleveland Royals**.
2023.03.30 00:30 SixersGameThreadBot [Game Thread] Dallas Mavericks (37-39) @ Philadelphia 76ers (49-26) - 07:30 PM EDT
- Game Time: March 29, 2023 @ 07:30 PM EDT
- Venue: Wells Fargo Center - Philadelphia, PA
- TV: National: ESPN, Dallas: BSSW-DAL, Philadelphia: NBCSP
- Radio: Dallas: KEGL/KFZO, Philadelphia: WPEN
- NBA Game Summary / Charts
|Date ||Location ||Result |
|03/02/2023 ||Dallas ||Loss 133-126 |
|03/18/2022 ||Philadelphia ||Win 111-101 |
|02/04/2022 ||Dallas ||Loss 107-98 |
|04/12/2021 ||Dallas ||Win 113-95 |
|02/25/2021 ||Philadelphia ||Win 111-97 |
|Team ||PTS ||REB ||AST ||STL ||BLK ||TO ||FG% ||3P% ||FT% |
|Mavericks ||113.9 ||38.6 ||22.7 ||6.4 ||3.7 ||11.8 ||0.474 ||0.372 ||0.757 |
|76ers ||115.2 ||40.9 ||25.1 ||7.8 ||4.8 ||12.8 ||0.486 ||0.386 ||0.835 |
Eastern Conference Standings
League Scoreboard Posted: 03/29/2023 06:30:01 PM EDT
submitted by SixersGameThreadBot
to sixers [link] [comments]
2023.03.30 00:27 GroupHeroics Tremendous Japanese Milk Bread
| || |
I'm a loaf of Japanese milk bread & let me tell you, I'm tremendous. I know good bread, folks. I'll make sure everyone has access to delicious bread & we'll build a wall of bread. We'll make America toast again. Believe me, I'm the best bread & I'll make America rise to the top! submitted by GroupHeroics to Breadit [link] [comments]
Ingredients: * 3 cups bread flour * 1/4 cup sugar * 1/2 teaspoon salt * 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast * 1/2 cup milk * 1/4 cup water * 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened * 1 egg Instructions: 1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and instant yeast. 2. Heat the milk and water in a small saucepan over low heat until warm to the touch (about 110°F). 3. Add the warm milk mixture, softened butter, and egg to the flour mixture. 4. Stir until the ingredients come together to form a rough dough. 5. Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic. 6. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 1 hour or until it has doubled in size. 7. Punch down the dough and divide it into 4 equal pieces. 8. Roll each piece of dough into a log, about 6 inches long. 9. Place the rolled bread dough in a greased loaf pan, cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 30 minutes or until it has doubled in size. 10. Preheat the oven to 350°F. 11. Brush the bread with egg wash and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. 12. Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving. Enjoy your delicious homemade Japanese milk bread!
2023.03.30 00:19 valkenar Drafting is a bad collection strategy if you aren't good at drafting
Current set was 67 days (Feb 10-April 18)Assume 1250 gold per day (500 quest + 750 for 15 wins)Total season gold: 83750Quick draft costs 5k, Premier costs 10kFor 2 wins, quick draft gives you 200 gems, which is 25 gold per gemFor 2 wins, Premier draft gives you 250 gems, which is 40 gold per gemThe mastery pass costs (net) 2200 Gems.Quick draft costs 55000 gold (11 drafts) for the passPremier draft costs 90k gold for the pass (unaffordable).
Quick draft gives 4 rares (3 while drafting plus 1 pack)If you draft, you will have 28k gold leftover for packs.After drafting, you will have 72 rares (44 from draft, 28 from packs)If you buy packs, you will have 83 rares (83 from packs)
Therefore, if you can't average better than 2 wins while rare drafting, you are better off not drafting and just buying packs.
I'm posting this because I've read a number of people suggesting drafting and the mastery pass, and I tried this strategy, but it failed. I think that it is only effective for people who are good at drafting and can win consistently. As far as I can tell, drafting is a bad strategy for those of us who rarely get more than 2 wins. The skilled magic players make appropriate assumptions for themselves, but newer or worse players should beware that drafting may not give them good results, long term.
Also buying packs gives you golden packs and wildcards, which further supports focusing on packs over events.
submitted by valkenar
to MagicArena [link] [comments]
2023.03.30 00:04 xSiberianKhatru2 #20: James A. Garfield
| || |Master Post submitted by xSiberianKhatru2 to Presidents [link] [comments]
Previous: Rutherford B. Hayes
James A. Garfield
20th President of the United States
Republican Party (Half-Breeds) President James A. Garfield
The Election of 1880
The presidential election of 1880 followed the administration of President Rutherford B. Hayes, a Republican who had pledged to serve only one term. Hayes’s commitment to civil service reform had exacerbated a rift in his party between the Stalwarts, a faction of openly corrupt Republicans led by New York Senator Roscoe Conkling, and the Half-Breeds, anti-Stalwart Republicans who generally sought to weaken the patronage system. This split in the party was particularly apparent during the Republican National Convention in early June: former President and General Ulysses S. Grant was backed by the Stalwarts, while the Half-Breeds split between Senator James G. Blaine and Treasury Secretary John Sherman. No candidate reached the necessary votes for nomination until the thirty-sixth ballot, when the vast majority of both Blaine’s and Sherman’s supporters suddenly broke for Ohio Representative James A. Garfield, a Half-Breed delegate who had not declared a candidacy. To appease the defeated Stalwarts, the convention nominated Chester A. Arthur, chairman of the New York Republican Party who had previously served as the infamously corrupt port collector at the New York Custom House, as Garfield’s running mate.
The 1880 election was held on November 2, 1880. General Winfield Scott Hancock, a Civil War veteran and the Democratic presidential nominee, took the entire South—where the voting rights of African Americans were no longer under active federal protection—as well as most of the West. But Hancock failed to clinch New York’s decisive 35 electoral votes, cementing a victory for Garfield by 214 to Hancock’s 155 votes. The popular vote was much closer, with a difference of only 1,898 votes (0.11%) out of the more than nine million cast. Garfield remains the only incumbent member of the House of Representatives to be elected president.
Conflict with Conkling
The Republican Party’s nomination of Chester Arthur to the vice presidency failed to placate Senator Conkling. A close friend and crony of Conkling’s, Arthur had rebuffed his boss’s order to reject the nomination, instead accepting it with honor. Although Conkling soon relented on the matter, as well as President Garfield’s nomination of Senator Blaine as secretary of state, he was angered once more when Garfield declined to nominate New York Representative Levi P. Morton, a Conkling ally, as Treasury secretary, and again when Garfield nominated Thomas Lemuel James—a New York Stalwart who had accepted the offer without consulting Conkling—as postmaster general. Garfield attempted to appease Conkling by nominating Morton as minister to France (and some local Stalwarts as attorneys and marshals in various New York districts), and his conciliatory efforts were initially successful.
But tensions suddenly reached an irreversible boiling point when President Garfield unexpectedly nominated former New York Representative William H. Robertson as collector of the Port of New York, jeopardizing Senator Conkling’s statewide political machine. The contested position was the most lucrative in the nation, with the collector managing over a thousand coveted jobs and millions of dollars in government revenue. Although the current collector, Edward A. Merritt, had already been appointed by President Hayes to combat the Stalwarts, he had proven only to be a relatively moderate reformer who Conkling preferred to keep in place. Robertson, on the other hand, was a full-blooded Half-Breed, and would deprive the Stalwarts of their power if given the seat.
Often criticized by journalists, politicians, and much of the general public for supposedly having no backbone, President Garfield flatly rejected Senator Conkling’s repeated demands that Robertson’s nomination be withdrawn. A dirty legislative confrontation ensued. Near-unanimous motions in the state legislature of New York showed overwhelming support for Garfield against Conkling, but the senator was undeterred. Seeking to avoid a vote on the collectorship, Massachusetts Senator Henry Dawes suggested voting on the rest of Garfield’s more than 300 nominations—including a significant number of New York Stalwarts—saving Robertson for last. Conkling endorsed the idea, planning to adjourn the Senate when the vote on Robertson was reached and forcing either Garfield’s capitulation or a riskier recess appointment. Garfield, at Secretary Blaine’s advice, counteracted by withdrawing every major Stalwart nomination still pending, eliminating Conkling’s ability to move for adjournment without disrupting much of his own machine. In protest, both Conkling and fellow New York Senator Thomas C. Platt resigned from Congress, intending to reaffirm their political influence by easily winning re-election; an exasperated Senate immediately used the opportunity to unanimously approve Robertson’s nomination. Both Stalwart senators returned home to a surprisingly uninspired state legislature, and neither would ultimately return to the Senate. Garfield’s commitment to resisting corruption and the consequent end of Conkling’s congressional tenure helped destroy the Stalwart faction, empowering Congress to pursue lasting civil service reform.
The Star Route Scandal
Amid all the uncovered scandals of the Gilded Age, one ring of corruption survived for decades undisturbed. In 1845, Congress reformed the national postal service, granting delivery contracts to the lowest bidders who could guarantee “celerity, certainty, and security” along special mail routes. Marked by three stars denoting the aforementioned guarantees, these contracted routes became known as “star routes”. The system was naturally vulnerable to corruption, with postal officials granting such contracts in exchange for bribes, and businesses tampering with the bidding system to receive excessive payments for their services. The expanding West of the nineteenth century only widened the scope of star route corruption.
Although preliminary investigations conducted over the past decade had been the first to reveal the scandal, it was President Garfield who first actively pursued the destruction of the star route ring. Ordering investigators “not only to probe this ulcer to the bottom, but to cut it out,” the star route investigations unveiled a massive underground ring of postal fraudsters who had cost Congress millions of dollars in wasted expenditures, with officials from local to federal government implicated in the scandal. Although most of the suspects would eventually be acquitted (under dubious circumstances), Garfield’s determined fight against the star route ring would result, under his successor, in its permanent dismantlement. Furthermore, the publicity Garfield brought to the scandal would increase national awareness of government corruption, strengthening support for and hastening the drafting of a major civil service reform bill.
A Stalwart's Revenge
As the episode around the port collectorship played out, Charles Guiteau—a dangerously deranged and disgruntled office seeker denied a consulship to Paris—observed through the New York Herald
what he deemed an unforgivable betrayal by President Garfield and Secretary Blaine of the Stalwarts, of whom Guiteau irrationally considered himself an influential member who had helped secure Garfield’s electoral victory through a speech amateurish in actuality. Realizing the vice president, a Stalwart, was one step away from power, and believing he possessed the divine mandate to effect such radical change, Guiteau resolved to “quietly remove” the president. On July 2, 1881, Guiteau shot Garfield twice with a British Bull Dog revolver at the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad Station. Although the first shot hit Garfield’s arm in a relatively harmless manner, the second entered his lower back, fracturing his spine before lodging itself near his pancreas. A dying Garfield was subjected to a variety of unsafe medical procedures over the next two months before finally succumbing to his infected wounds. On September 19, 1881, Vice President Arthur became the twenty-first president of the United States, swearing his oath of office several hours past midnight. Arthur did not pardon Guiteau as the assassin had expected, who instead was hanged on June 30, 1882.
Although President Garfield’s untimely demise denied him the potential impact of a full-term president, the influence of his administration would endure into that of his successor. President Arthur, once a Conkling crony, would capitalize upon the dissolution of the Stalwarts and the attention brought against corruption by Garfield’s investigations of the star route ring to enact meaningful civil service reform. Garfield would influence such reform in death itself, with the national grief behind his murder by a Stalwart office seeker epitomizing the woes of the spoils system.
2023.03.30 00:01 millywyco MW Wyco Wednesday Inventory Update! ALL Orders Through 3/28 Shipped! First 20 Orders After This Post Score a FREE PE Hybrid Syringe and ALL Orders 3/29 ONLY get a FREE Vendor's Choice! JACK FROST Swabs in stock! Restocked AA+, APE Revert, Elephant Gate, John Allen, Leucistic Amazon, PESA, Z-Strain
is the place to get the things! REVIEWS!
<POINTS SHOP or verify I'm not a professional scammer! CHECK YOUR POINT BALANCE while you're at it!
Credit/Debit, PayPal, Cash App, Venmo, Zelle, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Bitcoin and Amazon Gift Cards (US ONLY). Cash by mail also accepted :)
***PLEASE NOTE*** We cannot ship active spores to CA, ID or GA but boy howdy laws are a changin'! Shouldn't be long at all.
***PLEASE NOTE*** All cultivation inquiries or any mention of cultivation of active species will result in a block, cancelled order, and invalid for any refunds or exchanges. Spores are for microscopy use only.
Welcome back my fungal friends! What a good day!
Keeping this one short and sweet today!
I was able to get alllll caught up on orders this past week and what a great feeling that is!! Again, I can't apologize enough for all the crazy delays lately, but we are out of the mess and rockin' and rollin' again like never before! If you didn't get a tracking email, check spam! If you still don't see it, send me an email to [[email protected]](mailto:[email protected]) and I'll make it right!
You can check the status of your order in your account dashboard on the website. ON HOLD means your order has been placed, but payment has not yet been confirmed. If you did indeed submit your payment, and I overlooked it, please let me know! I'll have your order out with the quickness via PRiority Mail along with some extra goodies for the wait. If your order shows PROCESSING, that means everything is good to go and your order will be shipped within 24 hours! IF it shows COMPLETED, your order has been shipped! If you do not have a tracking email, let me know :)
Alsoooo....I have a couple friends and their daughter staying with me this week and have been amazing enough to want to help out here and there! If you get a card with your order and the handwriting on the back looks loads better than my chicken scratch, you have received a super rare Ashley edition treat, signed and stamped with allll the love :)
This week, I have one new variety to announce that everyone has been asking about lately: JACK FROST SWABS! This is a true albino variety, so not usually in syringe form. The spores are clear, but bruising is still present on the swab tips, giving them a blueish tint. I only have a small handful but hope to get more in stock soon!
Not so new, but John Allen syringes are back in stock! I also restocked AA+, a small batch of APE Revert, a few B+, GT, Golden Mammoth, PESA, Z-Strain and a ton of others...finally!
ALL orders today will receive a free Vendor's Choice syringe with their order and the 1st 20 orders after this post goes live will also get a tried and true Penis Envy hybrid with their order!
Happy hump day everyone! Hope you have the most magical rest of the week possible. Mush Love <3
It's ALWAYS now forever. It's NEVER not now. BE HERE NOW! You have no choice...
***I love trades!**\* Trades are the best! If you're an artist or have a specialty of your own and would like to work out a trade for some genetics, please let me know! I've never ever turned down a trade and my lab is full of art, messages and nick knacks from this fantastic community. Diabetic supplies needed and accepted too :) Get in here!
Need to talk? Need a friend? Need to vent? I'm here, let's chat! Always in Love <3
PLACING AN ORDER:
All orders must be placed on the website to receive order confirmation and tracking emails. I have several coupon codes to fit most packages, but if you have a large order or need a custom coupon code, please email me, and I'll take care of you :) You may mix-n-match swabs, spore syringes, and liquid cultures (exotics and "special" swab packs excluded)
The most common order, and the best deal is with coupon code 5PACK, which is for 5 cubensis spore syringes, swabs, or gourmet liquid cultures for $30, including shipping! Coupon code 10PACK is $60 for 10 cubensis or gourmet varieties. Use coupon code 2PACK for 2/$20, or if you need any exotics with your 5-pack, you can use coupon code NEEDMORE for 5 cubes and 1 exotic for $40. NEEDMORE2 for 5 cubes and 2 exotics for $50, and so on :)
NEW EXOTIC COUPON CODES:
TWOSpicy - 2 for $25 Exotic syringes and swab packs
FOURSpicy - 4 for $40 Exotic syringes and swab packs
***PLEASE NOTE*** We cannot ship active spores to CA, ID or GA
***PLEASE NOTE*** All cultivation inquiries or any mention of cultivation of active species will result in a block, cancelled order, and invalid for any refunds or exchanges. Spores are for microscopy use only.
LIST OF AVAILABLE VARIETIES (list accurate at 17:00 on 3/29/23, but will change as varieties sell out):
CUBENSIS SPORE SYRINGES AND SWABS AND SOMETIMES PRINTS:
Ajax (Alabama x Jacksonville, FL)
Avery's Albino (SWABS ONLY)
Big Blue (Blue Meanie iso)
Blue Magnolia Rust
Leucistic Treasure Coast
Melmac (SWABS ONLY)
Mexican Dutch King
PE+ (PE x B+) SWABS ONLY
Penis Envy #6
Phobos (swabs only)
S. African Transkei
Texas Yellow Cap
Thai Elephant Dung
EXOTIC SPORE SYRINGES AND SWABS:
Gymnopilus Luteofolius (Yellow Gilled Gymnopilus)
Gymnopilus Spectabilis (Laughing Gym)
Ps. Galindoi ATL7
Ps. Semilanceata (Liberty Cap)
Ps. Tampanensis (Pollock)
GOURMET LIQUID CULTURES AND AGAR PLATES:
Bitter Oyster (Bioluminescent!) < Black Pearl Oyster
Chicken of the Woods
Golden Brown Beech
Pestalotiopsis Microspora (Plastic munchin' non-fruitin' machine! Or is it?? We need our finest on this)
***PLEASE NOTE*** We cannot ship active spores to CA, ID or GA
***PLEASE NOTE*** All cultivation inquiries or any mention of cultivation of active species will result in a block, cancelled order, and invalid for any refunds or exchanges. Spores are for microscopy use only.
submitted by millywyco
to Millywyco [link] [comments]
2023.03.29 23:48 Keraiza Guide to driving the Master’s Tournament event in Augusta, GA (April 6-9, 2023)
Pretty soon drivers throughout Georgia and South Carolina should be getting quests for the Master’s Tournament. Some of y’all will be asking about whether it is worth it, and some of y’all will be asking about strategies for working the tournament, so I’ll try to cover both in this post. For reference, I have been an Uber driver in Augusta since 2017. I did two Master’s Tournaments as an X driver pre-pandemic and one Master’s Tournament as an XL driver last year (the two tournaments during the pandemic were closed to the public and were for members only). Sorry to the Uber Black drivers who are looking at this post, I don’t really have much experience to share with you about your platform, but hopefully some of this guide will still be helpful. I don’t do Eats, but they should do well here, too. Market basics:
Augusta is a rate-card market. It pays UberX $0.60/min and $0.09/mile and pays UberXL $1.45/min and $0.22/mile. Those who are coming from an upfront market (and new drivers who decide to start during The Master’s) will be accepting trips blind (unless Uber goes upfront within the next week). You have to have a SC vehicle inspection to pick up rides in North Augusta, SC, so unless you are a SC driver, or you come from a border town and did the SC vehicle inspection, you might want to avoid that side of town (near downtown, Augusta). Alternatively, if you do have a SC vehicle inspection done, this is a great location to get trips that other drivers (including most taxi drivers) cannot get. Outside of the tournament, the Augusta market only has UberX and UberXL. The platforms that I remember from last year during tournament week included UberX, UberX Diamond, Uber Comfort, UberXL, Uber Black, and Uber SUV. I know Lyft (which normally only does Lyft and LyftXL) also has Lyft Lux, but I’m not sure of their other platforms. Tournament basics:
The rideshare waiting lot for the Augusta Nationals (the name of the golf course which hosts the Master’s Tournament) is on Washington Rd about a mile East from Exit 199 of I-20. Most tickets can only be used twice for entry into the tournament. The entrance to the rideshare lot is just after the taxi lot entrance which is just after the Olive Garden restaurant if you are coming from I-20. The tournament starts at 8 am and ends when all the players are done on the course, typically around 5pm-ish. Those who attend to watch the tournament but are not members are called patrons. A lot of patrons will only come to see a particular golfer (Tiger Woods draws a lot of attention) and will leave when their golfer leaves (especially during practice rounds). Some patrons will sit at a single hole and will leave when all the players that they want to see for the day have come across that hole.
The women’s amateur tournament already began on Wed March 29, 2023, at Champion’s Retreat. The women’s tournament players get a practice day on Fri March 31 and will compete on Sat April 1 at the Augusta Nationals. Mon, Tues, and Wed April 3-5 will be the practice rounds. A lot of your middle-class fans will be here on one of these days as they will have a hard time getting tickets to the actual tournament; most of these patrons will only be here for a single day. Thu-Sun April 6-9 is the actual tournament. Most of your better-off patrons (and very lucky patrons) will be here during the actual tournament. They will often be here all four days. April 6-9 will be, by far, the busiest times of the tournament.
A lot of businesses arrange for tickets. Outside of C-suite employees, most of these tickets will be given out to customers and awarded to employees for a half-day visit (as they can be used twice) to get the most bang for the buck. This is good for UberX & UberXL drivers as a lot of these patrons who are there for half-day help fill up some of the time between the start time rush and the end of the day rush and are more likely to use Uber (or taxis) to get around.
Try to get along with the law enforcement and the workers at and around the Augusta Nationals. The Augusta Nationals has a reputation for banning and trespassing those who don’t follow their fairly stringent rules, although most of the workers there just work for the week. The Augusta Nationals have stripped members of their membership for things we might feel are small infractions; they certainly don’t care about trespassing a random Uber driver. Airports:
Augusta has two airports:
- The regional airport (AGS) will be mad crazy during tournament week, but many, many, many drivers will be hanging around the airport, including taxis, Uber Black, limos, hired drivers, shuttles for the master’s, hotel shuttles, etc. Unless you are Uber Black, I honestly don’t recommend hanging out at AGS (but do what you feel is best), although I personally would accept any requests that I got from the airport if I were outside the queue as there could be a hidden surge attached to it. AGS also closes their cellphone waiting lot to rideshare during tournament week. Be wary of picking up at AGS. There are six whole legal spots to pick up at AGS (six more spots at departures), and the Marshalls (GA’s police department responsible for airport operations at AGS) will probably take up two of them for some stupid reason. One of those six spots is also technically a shuttle pickup spot that the Marshalls may or may not be enforcing. Speaking of enforcement, the Marshalls will come out with a new policy several times a day during the tournament, so be polite, follow their immediate instructions, but don’t count on it being the same the next day. Also, the pickup spot in the app is the pedestrian crosswalk that goes between arrivals and departures (smack dab in the middle of the front of the airport). Make sure you pause for several seconds at that spot to start the cancelation timer before driving down towards the exits for arrivals. If you don’t, you have to go all the way around the airport to start the timer. Many knuckleheads will be ordering Ubers while sitting on the tarmac, so you might be collecting a few cancelation fees. A side note: you can always turn left into the rental parking lot and park along the sidewalk if necessary…this includes if you need to run into the airport to use the restroom or when there are not enough places to wait for your rider. This is about the only other place that the Marshalls will not harass you for stopping besides the designated pickup area and the cellphone waiting lot (when not closed). You technically need Uber stickers displayed to pick up at the airport, but I’ve never seen this enforced. If you want to see arrivals and departures, go to flyags.com and certainly don’t rely on the Uber app.
- At AGS, there is also an FBO (some riders will call it “Aviation Services” or “The private terminal” or “The executive terminal” or “The civil part of the airport” or something similar). Unfortunately, passenger auto-pins from here gets lumped into the general commercial pickup location. You will get mostly pilots coming from here as anyone who can charter a private plane will likely have a private ride already scheduled. You can legally pick up from the FBO (and also drop off). When you enter AGS, you’ll see a blue sign pointing to the cell phone waiting lot. Turn right into that lot and then turn left at the next street. Try to pick up under the awning, although you might have a line of grey Mercedes Sprinter vans in the way as those drivers feel they get special privilege (which they kinda’ do because the Augusta Nationals has a TON of political clout in Augusta).
- The other airport is the civil airport in the middle of the city named Daniel Field. Unlike AGS, this airport is typically underserved by Uber but is also extremely busy during the tournament. Despite there likely being a huge line of taxis there, you’ll likely get rides from here if the riders order the Uber before they see the taxis. These riders will likely leave their phone in their plane, so you might not see their blue location dot update. If you see them not have their phone with them (phones are not allowed in the tournament), let them know that there is an Uber representative that can order them a ride back on their account in the parking lot that you drop them off. (You probably won’t get their return trip, but they’ll help contribute to any surges later that you’ll benefit from.)
Last year, the quests were for $15/trip originating from the rideshare parking lot at the Augusta Nationals between 3pm and 7pm. This sounds great, but I only got a total of 7 trips during that quest time for the entire four days of the quest (and one of those trips was a “high priority” return after a very short trip). The big issues are that the tournament might end before 3pm for bad weather or might go beyond 7pm (usually because of weather delays). Also, every driver is trying to cram into the rideshare lot to get in the queue for that quest. Even if the tournament gets out during the quest hours, you will be fighting traffic out of and back into the rideshare lot. The lot seems to be designed for about 20 vehicles, but there were at least 60 vehicles crammed in most of the time last year. Drivers can also park at the Publix parking lot near the Augusta Nationals to get in the queue, but then you must crawl through traffic to get to the pickup. As a strategy, it might be worth it to jump into the Publix lot, though, to get your position in the queue to get one more quest for the night. The quest is what brings drivers to Augusta, but it isn’t really where drivers make their money…. Tips:
Stories abound in and around Augusta about $100 tips that patrons give out during their visit to the Master’s Tournament. In the three years that I drove for the tournament, I only got some of these tips one year (last year) and none the other two years, but I received four of them last year for the following reasons: (1) being a military veteran, (2) returning binoculars that were left in my vehicle, (3) going through a Chick-Fil-A drive thru, and (4) making a half-dozen stops for one rider for cigars and alcohol and ice and other items. The first two tips were easy money; the second two tips cost a lot of time during high surges (although I would have still had a hard time doing better than the $100 during that time). If you are a young lady that is easy on the eyes (not sure of a better way to put it), you will have a much easier time getting the $100 tips, but you’ll likely also face some very stereotypical frat-guy behavior from the mostly older male crowd. Most people giving out these types of tips are not taking UberX or UberXL, though. Surges:
As an upfront market, real surges are hidden, but you’ll still be able to see sticky surges. The best time for surges (aka, the times when riders exceed drivers) are in the early hours of the morning, the closing hours of the tournament, and during late night. The event starts at 8am (watch out for weather delays), but the rides easily start before 5am. There are a lot of moving parts to get the tournament started, and a lot of the rides that you’ll give as an UberX or UberXL are to those who support the tournament rather than the patrons. Parking lot attendants, traffic control, hospitality, camera crews, etc., are all heading to work. Uber shines at this time as the other modes of transportation have a hard time capturing this traffic unless prescheduled. A lot of patrons will start coming in soon after the workers to try to get the “ultimate” spot, and patrons will keep coming in for several hours. At the end of the tournament, there is no magical place to be except as close to the Augusta Nationals as possible. Patrons, workers, etc. are all streaming out of the same location. Hot Spots:
- The rideshare lot for the Augusta Nationals: obviously
- Hooter’s: I swear a third of my mid-day trips went between Hooters and the Augusta Nationals. A very short trip.
- Other common restaurants that I would sit at (most of these have other restaurants close by that will be busy, too, but not necessarily as busy): Twin Peaks, T Bonz Steakhouse (in Augusta, not so much the one in Evans), Abel Brown, Beck’s, Cork and Flame (in Evans) and Frog Hollow (and other downtown Augusta restaurants).
- Hotel Clusters: For patrons, these hotels include those on Steven’s Creek Rd (aka Claussen Rd), Gordon Highway off of Exit 3 of I-520, downtown Augusta (one of which is in North Augusta, SC), Wheeler Rd off of Exit 2 of I-520, Jimmie Dyess Pkwy off of Exit 194 of I-20, and Lewiston Rd off of Exit 190 of I-20. Workers will primarily stay at the “cheaper” hotels (which will still be relatively mad expensive) throughout the city, especially around Washington Rd, Wrightsboro Rd near the Augusta Mall, and all the old hotels that litter the rest of Gordon Highway (good locations to pick up 5-7am).
- Underserved house rental clusters:
Roads to Avoid:
- Don’t bother around Washington Rd as patrons will be primarily walking (not worth fighting the traffic for such low fares to the tournament either, imho, unless you are very, very close already).
- West Lake is a huge location for pickups. It is a gated community, but if you tell the guards you are picking up at 3556 W Lake Dr (the Club House), they should let you right through the gate. You can even type this address in your app to get directions to it (without using your precious destination filters) and have your app look like you are actually going to there for a pickup.
- There are several subdivisions near Washington Rd and William Few Pkwy in Evans, GA, that are commonly underserved.
- Whole blocks within River Island Pkwy are rented out by Mercedes Benz and other corporations and is a good source of rides.
- River North Dr in North Augusta, SC, is a great source of rides for patrons for those drivers who have submitted a completed a SC vehicle inspection to Uber.
- Otherwise, workers and patrons will be staying in housing all over the city.
- Traveling down John C. Calhoun Expy/Washington Rd between downtown Augusta and the Augusta Nationals when patrons are going to/from the tournament. If coming from downtown or traveling to downtown, take Riverwatch Pkwy (erroneously labeled River Watch Pkwy on some GPS apps). Both Greene St and Reynolds St become Riverwatch Pkwy if you travel West on them long enough. At Alexander Dr, you will turn left, and then turn left again on Washington Rd (about ½ block from the rideshare entrance). To go downtown, turn left from the rideshare parking lot (not technically allowed, but most people still do so), turn right on Alexander Dr (the next light), and then turn right on Riverwatch Pkwy.
- Berkmans Rd (which becomes Alexander Dr at Washington Rd and becomes Highland Ave at Walton Way) will be closed by the Sherriff when the tournament ends. Until then, feel free to use it although it will be congested at the start of the tournament. The best way to avoid it is a long way around which is to take Walton Way to Walton Way Ext (a right turn), turn left onto Wheeler Rd, and then turn left on Marks Church Rd, to go West onto I-520, then to go East onto I-20, then get off at Exit 200 to Riverwatch, then turn right onto Riverwatch, and then turn left onto Alexander. If you do this with a rider in the car though, they might get really upset for all the extra miles they are paying for although it is much, much faster.
- Boy Scout Rd, which is technically the alternate route for Berkmans Rd when Berkmans Rd is closed. Just about all northbound traffic heading toward the tournament (or to Hooter’s or other nearby restaurants/hotels) that do not use the expressway will be stuck on this road when Berkmans Rd is closed. If Berkmans Rd is closed, you’ll likely regret taking Boy Scout Rd. Otherwise, Berkmans Rd is almost always better.
The LE that you come across in Augusta are overworked outside of the tournament and will have had some really long
hours by the time the tournament even starts. If you do something stupid enough to warrant the LE to actually bother going after you, expect at least a ticket. Be polite to LE because their fuses are already short. If you screw up, the best thing to do is to just apologize and accept the chew out if they are yelling at you from the road. Arguing will likely get you swarmed by police in Augusta.
Some notable things to point out:
- The North Augusta Police (in SC) have a reputation for giving out tickets for minor speeding infractions (and North Augusta has some of the lowest speed limits in the market). If you cross the bridges, stay at the speed limit until you get back to GA.
- Georgia State Police (GSP) have a reputation for giving you a ticket if they pull you over, even during non-tournament weeks. Most of their cars are the telltale grey on blue, but they do have a few stealth cars in the Augusta Market (black writing on black paint).
- Speaking of stealth cars, the Richmond County sheriff also have stealth SUVs and a TON of unmarked police cars.
- Georgia Public Safety (GPS) officers come out in numbers and single out a lot of commercial vehicles during tournament week (along with GSP). Note that Ubers are technically commercial vehicles. This is especially true on Doug Bernard Pkwy (the road going to/from the regional airport) and on I-520 and I-20. Doug Bernard Pkwy is easy hunting for GSP & GPS as the road is built like a 65-mph highway but only has a 45-mph speed limit. Everyone I’ve seen pulled over were exceeding 60 (I believe), but that is all the choice of the officers.
Traveling from Other Markets:
- Other rideshare drivers: Not as bad as you would think. During the big money-making times, it won’t really matter. The market is flooded with rideshare drivers, though, which means that the surges are less common. Uber Black and UberX/XL surge separately, so there were times that Black was cheaper than X/XL according to several locals. Any stories about the Master’s Tournament driving the surges up to massive amounts all day long comes from 2016, which was the first time that Uber came to Augusta. The subsequent years have been much milder.
- Taxis: Taxi drivers come from all over GA and SC to drive during the tournament. I saw more taxis sitting at Daniel Airfield (our small civil airport in the middle of the city) during a slow time during tournament week last year than I’ve seen in all of Augusta during the rest of the year! At the Augusta Nationals, the taxi lot is next to the rideshare lot (but with a separate entrance), and patrons will have to walk past the Ubers to get to the taxis. At AGS, the taxi lot has its own beautiful exit coming out of the terminal, so the taxis often get riders before riders resort to Uber.
- Limos: Limos come from even further out. I saw limos from Myrtle Beach, Tampa, Kentucky…. LOTS of them all over the place. They are moving around the Daddy Warbucks type patrons and are getting most of those $100 bill tips. =P Limos and shuttles share a lot on Berckmans Rd.
- Hotel vans: Every decent hotel has at least a shuttle or two that they run during the tournament. Many of these hotels park their shuttles for the other 51 weeks out of the year. >.> These shuttles are not supposed to be in the rideshare lot, but some of them were last year.
- Private shuttles: A ton of companies, home-rental companies, and even the Augusta Nationals hire private drivers and use the grey Mercedes Benz Sprinter shuttles to get around. These shuttles are moving around the players, the CEOs, the big sponsor employees, etc. They are getting the rest of those $100 bill tips (many of them get a much higher single tip at the end of the tournament as a percentage of the shuttle cost).
- Public transportation: public transportation (the buses) suck in Augusta and are not really very relevant during the tournament.
One of the mistakes many drivers make is not recouping the costs of traveling from/to their market and missing the surges that result from other drivers leaving their market. I assume that a driver is not going to stay overnight in Augusta as the hotel costs are prohibitive. I also don’t recommend sleeping in your car because the local LE already have short fuses with the extra hours and the extra work brought on from patrons during the tournament (patrons routinely include heads of states and billionaires). If you are over 2 ½ hours away and don’t have a place to crash in Augusta, I wouldn’t bother.
Here is what I would do if I were in these other markets (but your reasoning or circumstances might be different):
- Aiken, SC: Technically the same metro although Augusta & Aiken drivers rarely overlap trips. I’d definitely be outside the Wilcox early to get one of the many patrons needing a ride.
- Athens: I might as well come to Augusta if I didn’t have a game going on. Still a four-hour round trip that I’d have to overcome. Brownie points if I could finagle a ride from the Thompson civil airport on the way to or from Augusta. Sadly, I know more about Atlanta than I know about Athens, but I would guess there are some (relatively) cheapskate patrons staying at hotels in Athens that would need a trip to Augusta early in morning. If so, I’d jump on that if I came across one (probably give them my number to get their return trip, too).
- Atlanta: A five-hour roundtrip is nothing to take lightly. I would only come to Augusta if I had a long-distance trip here (which many patrons will go straight from ATL or even a hotel). Atlanta does well during the tournament as a lot of drivers go to Augusta deadheading both ways, some drivers get pulled to Augusta thanks to long-distance trips, and Augusta ends up sucking up all the rental cars in the SE. A combination that is really, really good for drivers in ATL during tournament week and especially for airport drivers. If I got a long-distance trip back to ATL at any point (likely mid-day or at/near the end of the tournament), I’d take it in a heartbeat and call it a great day while finishing up in Atlanta if I had any more hours to burn.
- Columbia, SC: As I’d only be about an hour away, I’d definitely head over to Augusta. I’d also sit downtown Augusta during the few times that I would sit. I’d try to begin the day with a trip from the hotels in downtown Columbia as lots of international travelers will stay in Columbia (last year a lot of patrons from Ireland stayed in Columbia as the Augusta hotels were full, international travel to Columbia was easier, and the patrons came for a specific Irish player that qualified for the tournament fairly close to the tournament date).
- Macon: I don’t think that I would bother. Very unlikely to find trips along the way either way. To head directly to Augusta takes lots of state highways through small towns, too.
- Savannah: Even worse than coming from Atlanta. No interstates to travel up/down. I’d only do it if I got a patron staying at a hotel in Savannah (and give them my number to get their return trip, too).
- Statesboro: Quite a bit closer to Augusta than Savannah, but still traveling down state highways with little chances of getting a ride between the two metros. I would be surprised if any patrons stayed in Statesboro and ubered back and forth, but I’d accept a ride to Augusta if it came up (again giving my number to get their return trip).
submitted by Keraiza
to uberdrivers [link] [comments]
2023.03.29 23:44 JamesonRaider Remembered this from a year ago… brings me pleasure to know Erin is going to THAT team and he doesn’t realize it
2023.03.29 23:39 d3geny Another Lawyer Ape Re: 10K
Shoutout to the mods- been trying to post for awhile but had no karma and they waived the requirement for me :)
I'm a M&A lawyer at a V5 (you can google what this means). Disclaimer - not advice. Information only. I'm in M&A but I did my fair share of IPO and public disclosure work for Pubcos.
Nothing that much different than what the other OP said, mostly agree, and wanted to highlight that it doesn't hurt or destroy the short thesis. I'll address the change in language and Computershare issues below.
Reasons for Tweak in Language
Public company will typically have their outside counsel (i.e., law firms) help with public disclosure. If there are not lot of changes, the in-house counsel has the ability to handle - but usually they get outside counsel regardless to not accidently miss anything such as a new update in disclosure rules, laws, or other market trends.
Why the tweak? Obviously no one here will be able to know but the lawyers usually handle the drafting of the language, and, because we are very pedantic people, we make unnecessary non-substantive tweaks all the time for no good reason. This could be because the lawyer in charge of the file changed (i.e., left the firm) and want to demonstrate value, or impose their own style of disclosure going forward. Happens all the time - it gives the appearance to partners at the firm or to the Company that you're worth paying for.
The Company obviously has a say in what's going on but they usually don't waste their time with updates like this - I'm sure someone at the Company told the lawyers to put the DRS language as that is not really market (reason for this could be to appease retail but also it could be considered material information). The Company's main concern here is usual providing the "updates to the Company" or how to describe their earnings, or make forward-looking statements, to the extent permitted.
So re: adding approximate from one year to the next - there's really nothing nefarious here, especially since the Company has very limited knowledge as to the inner workings of Cede (as do all law firms and lawyers - it's a complete black box). So my opinion is that based on the foregoing, this is a very typical change and doesn't allude to anything.
To address the question re: Computershare, it is helpful to understand what their role is as a transfer agent, and this requires understanding the process of how private shares go public.
As you may be aware, private companies usually handle their own share register (i.e., the register that documents who holds what, when shares were cancelled, transferred etc.). Sometimes they use Carta (someone to help manage). However, when a company goes public, they need a transfer agent such as Computershare, who will take over the role of managing the share register.
As OP stated, Computershare has the share register and essentially has the ledger to process every entry that is an inflow or outflow. But an inflow or outflow of what? Computershare processes the inflow and outflow from the exchange (i.e., NASDAQ) or transactions outside of the exchange (out to out). This means when you DRS and take it out of the public float, the ledger will show -1 depository a share and +1 this new DRS holder.
What about Cede?
To understand the Cede portion, it's helpful to understand the process to go public. Let's say you have Privateco A. There are various private shareholders that hold shares but how does it get into the exchange? This is where Cede comes in. When a Company goes public, it files a prospectus and "lists" all the shares it wants to be freely tradeable on the exchange but this doesn't mean its going to be traded on the exchange... just eligible for trading. Once you go public, these private shareholders have "public-eligible" shares, and to trade them, they have to put their shares via DRS (not used how you think of it) to their respective brokers.
Circling back, from Computershare's ledger you have a handful of these ex-private shareholders now. As they "DRS" their shares to their broker, these ex-private shareholders are taken out of the ledger, and Cede gets an added share to that ledger. Why? banks, brokers, institutions, index funds etc. will will utilize a depository (that will work with clearing houses) to process trades. To do this, these entities have to grant the "legal" title or "record" to a depository (i.e., Cede). These ex-private holders then become "beneficiary holders" of the shares (including any transferees thereof). So as more and more of these ex-private shareholders put shares into the market (i.e., inflows), the depositories will get that equivalent increase. When an individual shareholder decides to take a share out of the broker and DRS in its own name, that's an outflow from the system. Computershare will be able to see these inflows and outflows at all times (and what happens outside of the system).
What about the short thesis? Well while Computershare can see the inflows and outflows... (and what is outside the system) they cannot see the turbulence that occurs re: public trading as that is all handled by the depository (which if you recall, are now the record holder of the shares). This is where all the potential fuckery is, because of the disconnect between legal title vs. beneficial title. This issue is present in multiple different areas of law, such as real property or other tangible goods. Because its hard to determine who the beneficial holder is while the legal title can pass from one person to the other.
Here, because Cede is a complete blackbox, and because of all the mechanics exclusive to brokers and market makers, there's an added layer of potential fuckery (i.e., MM ability to honor a trade even though it does not have the shares on hand, hence FTDs, as a result of having a T+2 settlement system). Whatever happens here, Computershare will have no clue. And due to these special mechanics, there can be more shares in the system (i.e., NASDAQ) than what is on the ledger of Computershare.
Gamestop has zero vision as to what happens in the open market. They can only rely on Computershare, their transfer agent, who won't have any vision as to the public trading process. Cede isn't going to feed them any information, as noted above they are a complete blackbox. And it is this very point + my thoughts on #1 above, that I'm highly certain that Gamestop, even if they speculate, will not have any ability to uncover any fuckery because the data they get is the official register managed by Computershare.
You can think of it like a blackhole... Computershare (and by virtue Gamestop) can only see what comes in and out of the blackhole. They have no vision as to what happens inside of the blackhole - that's the domain of the depository and the clearing houses.
I want to add that all the mechanics re: FTDs, broker rules and etc. are completely outside of their purview of expertise of a typical corporate lawyer that handles public disclosure.
submitted by d3geny
to Superstonk [link] [comments]
2023.03.29 23:30 TheAngryObserver In 2024, I want ONE Presidential candidate to talk about Iran
We're teetering on the brink of a war with an eighty-million person country on the other side of the world. Iran is mountainous, well-armed, has been preparing for decades, and loathes America.
Disastrous policy towards Iran has been enabled by the last four Presidents. We are now in a situation where any trust is as dead as Qasim Solemani. A deal is likely impossible under the current regime, which is now backed into a corner by internal unrest and is sending weapons to Russia. We, Israel, and the Persian Gulf kingdoms are waging a bloody cold war with Iran throughout Iraq and Syria.
It is difficult to imagine that this status quo can continue indefinitely. Eventually, it will end through agreement (now impossible), or will flare up into violent conflict. When/if that violent conflict occurs, we will be in a war that will make the Iraq and Afghanistan wars look like a bunch of old men bickering about the weather.
The country is well-armed, with a regular, well-equipped military. The United Nations would never authorize this and we would have no western allies, unlike in Iraq. Our most notable partners would be Israel and Saudi Arabia. The war would immediately turn most of the Middle East into a living hell as the two sides exchange blows. Trade in the straight of Hormuz would implode, leading to oil prices at home tripling. We have no border from which to stage an invasion. Iraq doesn't want us, meaning we either attack them first, or go through the Persian Gulf.
Such a task would make D-Day look simple. If this massive, overseas invasion were successful, which is no guarantee, we'd face enormous resistance on the ground from the Islamic Republic's military. At the moment, the regime is widely despised, at least outside of the countryside. An American invasion would rally support for it. The Ayatollah has an endless network of hideouts to escape in and continue the fight. Even if we captured the major urban centers, we would be facing guerrilla warfare on a scale unlike anything in U.S. military history.
China and Russia would take an interest, backing the regime and its allies and escalating tensions in other theaters like the Pacific. We can expect China to continue gaining ground in Africa and the Middle East due to general disillusionment with the U.S. Presently, there is no alternative to Khamenei in Iran. We can't re-install the monarchy in any meaningful capacity. This means that the U.S. will have to occupy the vast, ancient, and hostile country, potentially indefinitely. We presently don't have the troops for that, meaning a draft is on the table. The human toll would end up being in the tens of millions.
This is one of the hardest, and most relevant and high-stakes questions that this country faces. I want one candidate to give me a thoughtful answer on this issue. I don't need a real answer even, just a thoughtful mention would be nice. So far, we haven't. On the Republican side, those that can find time to mention it are howling for war. Biden is telling us that he's going to resurrect a deal with his master foreign policy skills. As with every other foreign country Biden got his mitts on, he's lying, and he too has saber-rattled much like his predecessor did. Donald Trump exacerbated this mess. His ego, greed, and vanity resulted in him tanking the only thread of trust the two nations had and recklessly killing Iran's number two, coming two minutes away from starting the war before being talked down by Tucker Carlson. When other Republicans do mention Iran, it is usually within the context of Biden (and sometimes Trump) not going far enough.
This is a very important issue. In terms of existential threats, this is on par with the climate crisis, democratic backsliding, and potential social security insolvency. We deserve, or at least need, answers from our leaders. Thus far, we haven't received any. Just lies or outright silence.
submitted by TheAngryObserver
to AngryObservation [link] [comments]
2023.03.29 23:26 Lost_in_999WRLD $20 for the pair
2023.03.29 23:18 Big_Dragonfruit_9124 Who are the most talented prospects at each position in the 2023 NFL Draft? Meet the 2023 All-NFL Draft Team, featuring former Illinois standouts, Devon Witherspoon and Sydney Brown.
submitted by Big_Dragonfruit_9124
to fightingillini [link] [comments]
2023.03.29 23:17 Big_Dragonfruit_9124 Who are the most talented prospects at each position in the 2023 NFL Draft? Meet the 2023 All-NFL Draft Team, featuring former Illinois standouts, Devon Witherspoon and Sydney Brown.
submitted by Big_Dragonfruit_9124
to UIUC [link] [comments]
2023.03.29 23:12 Brand0nBandz Ya'll widdit or what?!
2023.03.29 23:06 model-willem SB218 Air Departure Tax (Scotland) Bill Stage 2 Vote
We turn now to a Stage 2 Vote on SB218, in the name of the Scottish National Party. The question is that this Parliament approves the amendments to the Air Departure Tax (Scotland) Bill.
Members are reminded to vote FoAgainst/Abstain. Attempts to stylise a vote may result in it not being counted. Where there is mix-up with an alternative voting style, this shall also be accepted.
Air Departure Tax (Scotland) Bill An Act of the Scottish Parliament to provide for an Air Departure Tax, and for connected purposes.
Section 1: Consequential Repeals
a. the Air Passenger Duty (Scotland) Act 2020
- The following acts are repealed:
b. the Air Passenger (Amendment) (Scotland) Act 2021
Section 2: Interpretations
Section 3: Air Departure Tax
- For the purposes of this Act, “kerosene” has the same meaning as defined in section 1(8) of the Hydrocarbon Oil Duties Act 1979.
- For the purposes of this Act, “certificate of airworthiness” means a certificate issued under the relevant sections of The Air Navigation Order 2009.
Section 4: Chargeable Aircraft
- Subject to the provisions of this Act, an Air Departure Tax shall be charged on the carriage of passengers by air.
- An aircraft becomes liable for Air Departure Tax when it departs from an airport carrying passengers.
- Air Departure Tax shall be levied on the operators of aircraft liable as a result of this Act.
- Subject to the provisions of this act, all passengers on an aircraft departing an airport in Scotland are chargeable for the purposes of the Air Departure Tax.
- In all cases, the journey of all passengers chargeable subject to the provisions of this act ends at their final ticketed destination, issued by the operator of the aircraft that initially departed from an airport in Scotland.
a. It is a fixed wing aircraft designed or adapted to carry persons in addition to the flight crew.
- An aircraft shall be liable for Air Passenger Duty if—
b. It is authorised take-off weight is 5.7 tonnes or more, and
c. It is fueled by kerosene. 2. An aircraft shall be determined to have an authorised take-off weight of less than 5.7 tonnes if—
a. There is a certificate of airworthiness in force for that aircraft which shows the maximum authorised take-off weight is less than 5.7 tonnes, or
b. The body tasked with implementing the administration of Air Departure Tax is satisfied that the aircraft is not designed or adapted to take-off with a take-off weight of 5.7 tonnes or more.
Section 5: Rates
Section 6: Implementation
- The rates of Air Departure Tax are outlined in Schedule 1 to this Act
- The Scottish Ministers may vary these rates by regulations, subject to the affirmative procedure.
Section 7: Offences
- The body responsible for administering Air Passenger Duty shall have the responsibility for administering Air Departure Tax.
- The Scottish Ministers may by regulation, subject to the negative procedure, assign or create an alternative body responsible for the administration of the Air Departure Tax.
a. involved in the fraudulent evasion by that person or another person of duty, or
- A person who is knowingly—
b. in taking steps with a view to commit such fraudulent evasion, is guilty of an offence.
a. makes a statement they know to be false in a material particular, or,
- A person who knowingly—
b. in an attempt to deceive, produce or makes use of a book, account, return or other document that is false in a material particular is guilty of an offence.
a. on summary conviction—
- A person guilty of an offence under Section 8 is liable—
i. to a penalty of £20,000 or treble the amount of duty evaded or sought to be evaded, whatever is greater, or ii. to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months, or iii. to both, or, b. on conviction on indictment—
i. to a penalty of any amount, or ii. to imprisonment for a term not exceeding seven years, or iii. to both. Section 8: Commencement
Section 9: Short Title
- This Act comes into force 180 days following Royal Assent.
Schedule 1: Air Departure Tax Rates
- This Act may be cited as the Air Departure Tax (Scotland) Act.
This Bill was written by u/mg9500 on behalf of the Scottish National Party.
|Band ||Geographical Extent ||Rate |
|Domestic ||Scotland ||£0 |
|A ||The Common Travel Area (not included in the Domestic Band) ||200% the cost of the ticket, or £500, whichever is the greater |
|B ||The European Economic Area, Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Greenland, Kosovo Liechtenstein, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, North Macedonia, San Marino, Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and the Vatican City (not included in the Domestic or A Band) ||£150 |
|C ||The Arab League (excepting Comoros), Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cabo Verde, Eritrea, Georgia, Iran, Israel, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Western Sahara (not included in the Domestic, A or B Bands) ||£100 |
|D ||Territory not included in another Band ||£50 |
Presiding Officer, this bill aims to radically reform Scotland’s aviation taxation in order to stress several environmentally friendly principles.
This bill aims to destroy the viability of domestic flights within the CTA with the exception of the PSO routes within Scotland. This is an entirely true statement. These flights should not exist from an environmental standpoint and there is no justification for them but this Parliament does not yet have the competency to ban such flights. This de facto ban is therefore the most appropriate solution.
Elsewhere, this bill rectifies an issue with the current APD regime - as flight distance extends from Scotland, travelling by plane becomes more essential, therefore an environmental levy will not necessarily succeed in reducing passenger numbers as the alternatives (if they even exist) will be increasingly less desirable. Therefore flight distance and taxation due should become inversely correlated as this bill proposes.
Separately, this tidies up some current issues with the operation of APD as things stand, such as clarifying that ADT will only be due on departure from Scotland, not arrival. This bill also removes age related exemptions and modifications depending on the class of travel, as what we are trying to cut, emissions, are unaffected by either of these two matters.
Link to Stage 1 Debate
A01 - in the name of u/Faelif: Replace section 5(2) with the following:
(2) The Cabinet Secretary may by regulations amend the table in Schedule 1 to this Act. (a) No regulations may be made under this subsection unless a draft of those regulations has been laid before and approved by the Scottish Parliament. (b) Subsection (a) applies only when regulations include provision to move a region or country from one band to another band. EN: Allows for the addition of new countries and the removal of countries that no longer exist without a vote.
Amend Schedule 1 to read:
Table 1: Rates of Air Departure Tax
Table 2: Rates of the Frequent Flyer Levy
|Band ||Geographical extent ||Rate |
|Domestic ||Scotland ||£0 |
|Band A ||Common Travel Area (not including Scotland) ||200% the cost of the ticket, or £500, whichever is the greatest, plus the Frequent Flyer Levy |
|Band B ||Territory not included in another band ||The Frequent Flyer Levy |
In Table 2, "n" is the number of flights taken during the current year by the passenger for which the Frequent Flyer Levy may be charged.
|n ||0, 1 ||2, 3 ||4, 5 ||6, 7 ||8, 9 ||10, 11 ||12, 13 ||14, 15 ||16, 17 ||18 or more |
|Rate ||£0 ||9% the cost of the ticket ||24% the cost of the ticket ||46% the cost of the ticket ||74% the cost of the ticket ||109% the cost of the ticket ||149% the cost of the ticket ||193% the cost of the ticket ||240% the cost of the ticket ||240% + 31(n - 18)% the cost of the ticket |
In section 6, after subsection 2 append:
(3) The Scottish Ministers may make any regulations deemed necessary to bring the provisions of this Act into force.
(4) Subject to subsection (4), regulations under subsection (3) are subject to the negative procedure
(5) Regulations made under subsection (3) which modify any enactment (including this Act) are subject to the affirmative procedure.
Amend section 8 to read:
(1) This section, section 9, and sections 6(2) to 6(5) come into force the day after Royal Assent.
(2) The other provisions of this Act come into force 180 days after Royal Assent.
Explanatory note: implements a frequent flyer levy
Voting on this item of Business ends with the close of Business on April 1st, at 10 pm BST.
submitted by model-willem
to MHOCHolyroodCommittee [link] [comments]
2023.03.29 22:54 Candid-Inspector-270 Runt of the litter has a lightly cloudy eye…
| || |
Runt of 8 kits of an unexpected litter from an unexpected rabbit (see my post history) has a lightly cloudy right eye. All irises have been brown since birth. submitted by Candid-Inspector-270 to Rabbits [link] [comments]
90% sure the result of this will be their first vet visit, but I thought I’d ask the community if they have any insight as well.
2023.03.29 22:47 liluzihurt804 Any criticism is appreciated
submitted by liluzihurt804 to EngineeringResumes [link] [comments]
2023.03.29 22:41 Vlexios WARNING: Owner of CS:GO Trading Discord is a Scammer
I am making this post to hopefully prevent any other traders from mistakenly interacting with this server as well. This user has scammed others before, as we will learn, but I guess they didn't do a good enough job publicizing it.
I was just recently scammed for about $2,700 worth of skins by this user. I do insist that you read the entire post, if for nothing else than comedic relief. We will walk together down this rollercoaster of an interaction with a very cunning yet somehow simultenously stupid scammer.
The information of the scammer and the server in question are at the bottom of this post.
Moved the scammer's info here for visibility:
===================INFORMATION================= My lost skins :'(
- Butterfly Knife
Doppler Phase 4 Factory New
- Bowie Knife
Marble Fade Factory New
- Shadow Daggers
Lore Minimal Wear
Kabamba's Discord Server: Pixel Plaza (Server ID: 675475131983855616)
Kabamba#2274 (Discord ID: 198911060063944704)
Kabamba's Steam info:
I've been looking to get into CS:GO trading, so a few days prior, I purchased some knives which I would later profit on given the inevitable announcement of CS2. I was not very sure of how to approach the situation, so I searched for "CSGO trading discord servers" on Google. Among the first results, I found a server called Pixel Plaza (Server ID: 675475131983855616). I asked some questions in general chat, and was helped by the kind users in the server. A few moments later, the owner of the server Kabamba#2274 (User ID: 198911060063944704) jumped in and answered some of my questions as well. He was very polite and patient with me as I learned the ropes of CS:GO trading. I made it clear that I intended to sell the knives in question, since CS2 had just been announced and the prices had moved to return me a nice profit. He made some suggestions of how to go about selling my skins, only to later make me an offer directly in private. Seeing as Kabamba was the owner of this rather large and seemingly reputable community, I figured it would be a nice introduction to CS:GO trading for me to sell to a trustworthy person.
Kabamba and I hopped into a voice call, in which he then typed out this offer for the knives I was looking to sell:
This was only slightly below market value, and I felt as though this was a reasonable offer, so I accepted it. This looked like a great opportunity to make a profit on my knives while avoiding all the messy fees of third party sites. It also provided a bit of overhead for Kabamba to make a profit as well later on. Everything looked good.
He added me on Steam, and right away I got the impression that the account did not belong to a scammer. It was a very authentic profile with many hours played in various games. Everything looked good. We chatted for some time while we were organizing the trade. He agreed to pay me via PayPal after I sent him the skins. This did not seem out of ordinary to me, since he was an active member of the community and I obviously was not. This was my first trade. If anything, you could argue that my account was suspicious, since I don't play much CS:GO but I just purchased a few thousand dollars worth of skins. So I was completely on board with sending the skins first. It only made sense. He was quite adament about me screen sharing while I accepted the trade. In retrospect, I should have been just as adament about him screensharing the PayPal transaction, but you live and you learn.
he traded me this garbo graffiti for some reason but whatever
At this point, Kabamba verbally assured me that the money was on the way, and it could take a few hours to arrive (which I have never heard of). I use PayPal very often for business and my clients, international and otherwise, always get their money to me instantaneously. Kabamba swore up and down that international transactions take some time, as if there was a briefcase of money being sent from Belgium to the US or something. Nonetheless, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and waited patiently for the money to arrive. Mind you, Kabamba never shared any type of confirmation or receipt with me. He just verbally stated that he sent the money.
Come the next day, still no payment. This was an immediate red flag for me, but I still wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, in case the funds needed to be cleared for international transfer or something. I mean, who knows? I started to look deeper and discovered that he had a report on SteamRep, which was oddly rejected by the admins for insufficient evidence. Frankly, if you look at the video attached in the report, it looks like he got me with the exact same trap. The SteamRep link in question is this one: https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561198883226994-csgo-counter-strike-global-offensive-items.196959/#post-536284
I confronted him about the report, and he quickly dismissed it, as a good scammer would:
You'll notice as we go on that Kabamba is trying to buy as much time as possible, presumably waiting for the knives to lose their tradelock so he can move them to another account before the inevitable trade ban hits. He must be a terribly busy person, being unable to provide proof that such a large transaction even occurred.
You'll also notice that Kabamba is chronically addicted to mentioning other people who he allegedly traded with as evidence that he has sent the money. Spoiler: the people he mentions are his alt accounts.
Kabamba periodically makes the reassurance that he will "give me the skins back" if the transaction doesn't work out. I don't know much about skin trading, but I do know bullshit when I see it. At this point in time, not one single thing Kabamba has said turned out to be accurate, so I can only assume he wants to move these skins as soon as they unlock.
Naturally, I was tremendously suspicious at this point, so I did some more digging online, only to find yet more evidence of his scamming endeavours; a list containing Kabamba and a few of his alt accounts on the Trademart ban list, which you can find yourself by pasting his Discord ID into https://trademart.gg/bans
. Funnily enough, you will find out that "monkeyboi#7418," who he stated as a reference, is also on this list.
I brought this up, and as you may have expected, Kabamba proceeds to brush this off and claim that Trademart is "shit."
Now, Trademart may very well be shit, it's not like I know any better. I do know what is **not** shit: PayPal. So I once again insisted on some sort of proof of payment:
I've never seen someone who is so talented at dodging questions. It's exhausting to talk to someone like this.
It's quite obvious that he refuses to refer to any sort of Transaction ID. I presume you can figure out why. Also, something funny to note, Kabamba must be convinced that PayPal is based in Belgium, because they are "closed" at 3PM Central Time. With all respect to my EU folks, PayPal doesn't revolve around your timezones.
There wasn't much doubt in my mind at this point that I had been scammed, but for nothing else than a good laugh, I continued to give Kabamba the benefit of the doubt.
Perhaps he didn't know what to look for, so I sent him an example of what to check on PayPal. Dodged again. Side note, I accidentally claimed that the trade occurred 4 days prior, when in reality the trade had occurred 2 days prior. This was an error on my part.
Perhaps he didn't know how to properly request an agent on PayPal. This is completely understandable, so I did it myself. In case the text is too small to read, a kind agent by the name of Joel let me know that there was no transaction pending or failed directed to my account at all. https://preview.redd.it/oosgpeiqeqqa1.png?width=1083&format=png&auto=webp&s=91143a69ad8e1bbef62a672cd63216d34f315a97
Perhaps every PayPal agent besides Joel died in a tragic accident that day, so PayPal support closed and I got the last ticket. I was quickly losing my patience, so my next resort was to start negotiating. https://preview.redd.it/roolf9v5fqqa1.png?width=1217&format=png&auto=webp&s=f5d8c337e47ef6ad95e086197d107cdeddc9188e
Even when his intention is to scam me, this offer I made is beyond reasonable. Had he been intelligent enough to accept it, this Reddit post would have never been made. Apparently a few hundred dollars of profit was not enough for the greedy Kabamba, he wanted all of it.
News flash, the entire PayPal website also closes once support for Belgium is closed. TIL that PayPal is a physical bank in Belgium, not a digital service. Kabamba knows he is cornered, so he just goes ahead and loses his mind:
I had no intention of entertaining this prick anymore, so I went ahead and started drafting this Reddit post. Shockingly, the next day, Kabamba found an excuse that buys him even more time, although he clearly doesn't excel in counting.
One thing we learned here is that Kabamba has excuses on quickdraw. They don't even have to be good excuses, they just have to piss the other person off enough to stop talking to him. Once again, Kabamba is cornered and starts trying to gaslight me for some odd reason.
Apologies Kabamba, I didn't realize how clear you were being this whole time. Especially the part where you didn't screenshare the payment and also coincidentally were unable to provide proof of it later.
At this point I am debating even including the rest of our conversations, because it's more predictable than a Disney movie. As any scammer would, Kabamba folds under pressure and just starts spewing verbal diarrhea.
I ask him how he would feel about me asking his server about the situation. He goes off on a tangent again and tries to gaslight me.
This in particular may be very frustrating to read.
> Simply not cooperating at all in the slightest.
Last I checked, this was a two step process. I send skins, Kabamba sends money. I did in fact send the skins, and Kabamba did not send the money. If I am mistaken here, someone correct me. In my opinion, I over-cooperated when I offered him a discount on my skins.
He clearly had no objection to me asking others in his server about the situation, so I went ahead and asked a completely objective and fair question. "Hey guys. I traded my skins with someone for about $2700 the other day. I sent the skins immediately, but the other person has not paid me and refuses to send proof of payment. Opinions?"
I wish I had a screenshot of the message, but he deleted it so fast I couldn't even react. I'm not even sure why he deleted it, I never mentioned his name.
Everyone take a moment to predict what happened when I sent it again.
The ultimate tool in Kabamba's belt makes another appearance: gaslighting. I'll save you the trouble of scrolling up in the screenshots, there was no question which I did not answer.
I obviously can't read, so I kindly asked him to send the nonexistent question again so I could answer it to the best of my ability.
The rest of this conversation is effectively worthless to share, especially considering I can't attach anymore photos to this post. Kabamba goes ahead and starts acting like a toddler, throwing insults at me full-auto. He also takes it upon himself to start deleting critical parts of our conversation to fit his narrative (whatever that narrative may be, I have no idea). Perhaps the most comedic snippet is when Kabamba uses Inspect Element to change one of my messages to "im sosa and i have a small dick."
Shame I could not attach this one.
Here it is on imgur: https://imgur.com/a/UQXu4ds
In conclusion, even the most authentic looking traders can be scammers. Although I lost a shit ton of money, I will sleep great at night knowing I paid the price that will ultimately save others thousands of dollars. If you have the time, make note of his information and assure you don't trade with him or his mods. I was going to post an invite to the server just for reference purposes ;) but I'm not sure if that's allowed in this sub. I will continue to update this post in case anything arises, but I highly doubt it. As of March 29th, 2023, I have received neither payment nor further communication from Kabamba. If I have come to an unreasonable conclusion, feel free to let me know.
submitted by Vlexios
to SteamScams [link] [comments]
2023.03.29 22:23 HoneybeeButts THE TELL TALE HAND 🤭
2023.03.29 22:09 mindlight1 Personal Statement Guidelines 2023-2024 cycle
I post this every cycle to get you all going on your personal statements...you can do this!!
Disclaimer: I am not an adcom and this isn't meant to replace professional advice you may have gotten, but it's a decent place to start. It's a compilation of ideas from different resources mixed in with my own thoughts. There's no one way to tackle the PS, but you have to get going, so here are some ideas from the pushy docto-mom!
- The PS is like the first chapter of a novel...you want to engage the reader so that they want to continue on. It doesn't need to be some kind of masterpiece - it's your whole app that counts, but it is a first impression. You don't want it to stand out in a bad way, where the adcoms just want to close the book and be done. So rule #1 is not to put anything that could be off-putting: don't put yourself down, don't sound arrogant, and don't get into controversial subjects (more on all this below). Your goal is to sound reasonable and compelling.
- What are you trying to answer? Basically, you are sharing your story of how you became interested in medicine. You want to explain why you want to become a doctor out of all the possible choices that's out there for you. What sparked your interest? How did it develop? What confirmed this for you? What makes you ready? How is medicine a fit for your goals? It's your chance to describe your journey to medicine (and becoming a doctor specifically).
- An adcom on SDN said that 92 percent of personal statements are decent enough to move on, 1 percent are amazing, and 7 percent are awful - with your job being to avoid the awful category. That sounds about right! Very few are outstanding - they either involved an extraordinary circumstance or there was something deeply moving and meaningful that's hard to replicate. Basically, you want yours to Pass Go and not make ad-coms roll their eyes. If you're not a creative writer, this isn't the time to start. Be careful of humor, too - it could really fall flat.
- You only have room for a few personal stories and this is what takes time - deciding which ones you want to use. This is where you play around and experiment. The same person can create multiple personal statements using different anecdotes and they would all be fine - it is a matter of seeing what works best to highlight your story and your positive attributes. I think 2-3 stories that go into depth seems to fit the best - any more than this, it begins to read like a resume.
- You don't need one "aha" moment. Instead, you can build up your narrative step by step, to the point where at the end you have shown that medicine is the right path for you. It is often hard to get started, but just begin writing. Some people say open up a bottle of wine (or whatever), loosen up, and just get down some thoughts. Maybe something inspired you early on, or maybe you were involved in an activity that eventually paved the way for medicine. Maybe you have a family story/background that was meaningful. There is no right or wrong on how to start, but I feel you should eventually describe some kind of clinical experience to lend validity to the idea that you want to be a doctor.
- Your PS can include your life's experiences before college (some people have said their advisors have told them only to include life after HS). Your background is something that makes you unique and not interchangeable with a zillion applicants. If it's relevant to your "why medicine" story, you can include it, and then move forward to include more recent experiences. What you shouldn't include is a childlike idea based on fantasy notions of becoming a doctor...your ideas should have substance. Discussing how you dressed up as a doctor when you were a toddler won't cut it (yes, I have seen this).
- Think about what qualities you want to show - you can look at the AAMC Core Competencies for ideas and pull a few from there: https://www.aamc.org/admissions/dataandresearch/477182/corecompetencies.html. Some forward thinking premed-redditors have gone through this list and have highlighted for their LOR writers the areas they want emphasized. (See point below: Coordinate your PS with the rest of your app.)
- "Show, don't tell." You may have heard this before, but what does it mean? It is fundamentally about tone. Telling is when you are instructing/teaching the reader. For example, saying "Being an empathic person is important in medicine" is telling. "I showed a lot of empathy when I talked to the patient" is telling. Instead, you want to describe a story and share your thoughts along the way. Here's an example of showing a quality (in this case, empathy) without telling it (which actually happened when I was an intern!): "Mr B tearfully explained to me that none of his siblings were a compatible bone marrow match. As I pulled a chair over to talk with him, I thought about the trust he placed in me with something so personal. I felt compelled to make this better - and frustrated that I couldn't. However, spending time with Mr B, I learned that medicine is not always about cures, or even finding the right words to say; listening and presence can also be powerful forces." With this, I am setting the scene and giving you my thoughts/realizations. I'm sharing an experience that shows reflection and growth. Here's more on this idea expressed in a very direct way by u/aspiringsocialepi: https://www.reddit.com/premed/comments/blhfog/psa_adcoms_do_not_want_to_hear_you_say_im/
- It makes sense to show that you can connect with people - this is the humanistic side of medicine. They will read your stats and accomplishments in the app; they need to know you are trustworthy and care about people.
- If you're talking about a patient, do not use their real name (due to privacy/HIPAA concerns). Say, the patient, who I will call...., or put a name in quotes, or just say "the patient."
- Showing your ability to care about people is super important, but also think about other doctor qualities to add to your story. Remember you are building the case for "why physician," not simply "why healthcare professional" (or other position). Again, you can review the AAMC core competencies list. Some attributes to consider are scientific curiosity, depth of knowledge, problem solving, teamwork, leadership, teaching, and research. Don't simply say you've observed these qualities and that's what you want to do - think about something that shows these traits in yourself. For example, if you say that you saw leadership in Dr. X and you value leadership in becoming a doctor, you can support that idea with some kind of personal leadership example.
- Have a strong conclusion - this is where you can be more direct...now you can tell! You can point out the role of a physician and how it resonates with you. You can say what qualities physicians have and how your experiences make you feel ready. You can say what you'd like for your future. Stylistically, you can bring in the theme from the opening paragraph and make a quick reference to it. Don't say how great you will be (yes, I have seen this) - keep this about service to others. Think of the conclusion as your TL;DR of the personal statement - make it easy for them to understand your whole why medicine story.
- Coordinate your PS with the rest of your application. You will need to write 3 "most meaningful" essays as part of the primary; you'll have secondary essays; you'll be getting LORs. Think about the activities you're highlighting and build that theme. For example, if global health is important in your why medicine story, have that in the PS, add a most meaningful essay that doesn't repeat but complements the PS, talk about it in the secondaries/interviews. Having an angle (without being repetitive in content) can help to set yourself apart. If you don't have a unique aspect - no worries. Think along the lines of personal qualities - maybe you're a good communicator or a good teacher, for example. Know your strengths and let that come through. For more on this, read u/LuccaSDN's advice: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/n-1-how-to-make-sense-of-and-communicate-your-narrative.1368855/
- A word about form: Don't have 1-2 long, drawn out paragraphs or 9+ mini-paragraphs. I think around 5-6 work best (including opening and concluding paragraphs). Don't make the opening paragraph overpowering, leaving the following paragraphs with less substance. It should just be an opener, and it doesn't need to be overly dramatic - just something engaging. Don't put in anything too graphic...you don't need that. That story about how the blood was oozing all over as the transplant surgeon grabbed the heart doesn't work (yes, I have seen this). Be thoughtful - it's not an adrenaline race. Your "regular" stories are interesting - get into them! Explain why you did xyz, describe something absorbing, and reflect back your thoughts/meaning.
- Try not to view this as drudgery. Have a little fun with it. Have people read it through along the way and stay open to suggestions, but in the end go with what feels right for you. In the end, you should feel proud of your story - you are amazing for getting to this place!
ADDITIONAL THINGS TO AVOID:
- Be careful when criticizing doctors or medical care in the US - you don't want to come off as judgmental or that you're wiser than the people who have been part of the system for years. If you want to talk about ways to change healthcare, make sure you have demonstrated background knowledge in the area you're discussing.
- Use common sense when discussing religion or politics. You don't know who is reading your PS and what their beliefs are. Don't offend anyone.
- Exercise caution when bringing up serious mental illness - keep in mind adcoms view themselves as the gatekeepers, wanting to make sure that you'll be able to make it through the hardships of an intense workload and stressful clinical situations. They don't want it on their heads that they put someone in a pressure cooker and the person got sick as a result.
- Make sure that the humanitarian trip you've discussed is a legitimate one and doesn't represent "voluntourism" (where the programs end up not benefiting, and even exploiting, the people they are trying to assist). Here is a guideline by the AAMC: https://www.aamc.org/download/181690/data/guidelinesforstudentsprovidingpatientcare.pdf
- Don't bring up specific grades - there will be other places in the app to discuss academic inconsistencies. If it's important to you to describe an academic struggle, keep the emphasis on how you have grown and are now ready.
ADDITIONAL INFO (links):
Here are u/Arnold_Liftaburger
's thoughts on writing the PS (from premed
Personal Statement Tips from u/tinamou63
Here are u/holythesea
's ideas on how to write a narrative: https://www.reddit.com/premed/comments/5l69ap/personal_statements_how_to_write_stories/
Check out the advice from u/word_doc73
And here is a helpful thread from SDN: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/youre-doing-it-wrong-part-1-your-personal-statement.1247362/
A thread on finding online personal statements: https://www.reddit.com/premed/comments/8lmcrc/what_are_some_good_personal_statement_examples/
More PS advice: https://www.reddit.com/premed/comments/847cjn/whats_your_best_personal_statement_advice/
Here are more examples of of personal statements provided by u/HeyHiHello99
Many people use Dr. Gray's resources - I've seen some of the videos and I think they are very helpful. Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWwo90Vy9fA
List of SDN reviewers who will help edit your PS drafts: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-personal-statement-guide-and-reader-list-2022-2023.1458306/
submitted by mindlight1
to premed [link] [comments]
2023.03.29 22:06 Medium_Librarian_424 Potential colour blindness in student...looking for ideas.
I have recently discovered that a student of mine could potentially be colour blind during an art activity in which students had to create a pattern with different shades of green and he started creating one with green and red. I initially corrected him thinking he misunderstood the directions, but when I asked him to find the dark green pencil crayon he was struggling and picking up brown and reading the name of the colour. I had him sit with me and take one of those online colour blindness tests and results showed "moderate deutan". I am not completely sure what it means but am gathering it is a form of red-green colour blindness? Looking back now, I am realizing he has also struggled with finding certain lines on the gym floor and locating coloured places on a map.
I have recommended to his parents to get eyes checked for a formal diagnosis, but in the mean time I am looking for some tips on things in the classroom that could be making his life and learning a bit more difficult. My first thought is whiteboard markers, but most of my classroom is also covered in green chalkboards and I'm wondering if that could also be making things more difficult.
Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated.
submitted by Medium_Librarian_424
to ColorBlind [link] [comments]
2023.03.29 21:41 thisgingercake The Neuroscience of Gratitude and Trauma - Reviewed by Chloe Williams
The Neuroscience of Gratitude and Trauma
Attempts to be positive do not expand capacity to endure pain.
Posted January 31, 2020 Reviewed by Chloe Williams
Neuroscience of Gratitude and Trauma Source: Dr. Odelya Gertel Kraybill Expressive Trauma Integration™
We all know this encouraging expression: "Think positive." People say it with kind intentions, but is it helpful advice?
With trauma survivors, there is good reason to avoid such expressions. Why? The answer requires us to examine the neuroscience of the survival mechanism after trauma. What Happens After Fight/Flight/Freeze?
During trauma, people instinctively go into a stress response. The fight/flight/freeze mechanism is triggered, so they are going to do one of those three things. (In the ETI roadmap
, this is Stage Two).
When the traumatic
event has passed, the trauma trigger remains. The individual can easily be re-triggered to feel the danger has returned by things that look, sound, smell, or feel like things experienced at the time of trauma.
As a result, many survivors feel “on edge” all the time. A feeling that terrible danger is at hand haunts them everywhere they go. This chronic sense of danger often activates a withdrawal response (Stage Three in the ETI roadmap).
📷 ETI Roadmap Source: Dr. Odelya Gertel Kraybill Expressive Trauma Integration™
It’s important that survivors and caregivers understand withdrawal—its purpose and why it lingers. Universally among survivors, as soon as a traumatic event is past, they experience a powerful urge to withdraw to safety and rest. Withdrawal is a useful, life-preserving response that reduces vulnerability to further injury. It causes people to seek safety, to rest and recuperate after a shocking experience.
However, at some point, this life-preserving response can turn into a cycle of misery. In withdrawal, survivors remove themselves from active engagement with life and other people. They cycle through intense emotions typical after trauma, such as shock, fear
, rumination. Later, more complex emotions emerge such as shame
, and a sense of moral injury
. Often these show up in the form of endless rumination on “shoulda’/coulda’/woulda.’”
Some survivors are able to move beyond this stage before long. But most have a hard time moving beyond withdrawal. Many remain trapped in it for a long time. For some, withdrawal lasts a lifetime (read this blog
about the way out of withdrawal).
For those who experience severe stress and/or trauma at a young age, withdrawal is so much a part of their experience of life that it seems to them a given of reality. Such survivors develop from a young age a sense of shame and guilt rooted in a sense of not being good enough.
After all, young children depend on adults to survive. They tend to blame themselves for their pain responses. It is natural for them to feel “something must be wrong with me.” When Instincts Help Us Survive But Not to Thrive
When our fear response is activated, we don’t respond to situations we encounter, we react. Survival mechanisms take over the brain and temporarily set aside logic and reason.
When people are exposed to ongoing stress or multiple traumatic experiences, the fear response gets triggered over and over again. A response meant to be temporary takes up more or less permanent occupation in the nervous system
. In this state of hyper-alertness, non-threatening situations of many kinds can easily trigger a fear reaction. Life becomes very hard for such survivors.
So what is the way out? Awareness is a Way Out of Withdrawal
Awareness helps us engage the upper brain, the part of the brain that is over-run when fear responses are running amok. Three types of awareness are particularly useful in moving beyond the hair-trigger reactivity that troubles survivors in the withdrawal stage. (Withdrawal stage #3 in the ETI roadmap).
- Information about how trauma affects the brain. See my blog post on psychoeducation for more on this.
- Being in the present. In trauma therapy, we do this by helping survivors to pay attention to their inner and outer signals. This can be tricky since awareness may also trigger uncomfortable feelings, sensations, and thoughts that take us right back to withdrawal. Expand awareness slowly!
- Body awareness. This helps self-regulation of emotions. Learning to detect and trace what is happening in the body, what sensations are associated with particular triggers (sensory stimuli), alerts, movements, postures, etc., lays an essential foundation for managing emotional responses.
See this blog post
for more information and examples. You Don’t Have to be Grateful to Improve Your Mental Health
With the above in mind, let's now return to the question of gratitude
and positive thinking
. We experience gratitude when we recognize goodness in our life and goodness in others and the world.
Gratitude can be very beneficial
when it is possible. However, while some trauma survivors can benefit
from gratitude, for most it is challenging. The reason has to do with an overactive nervous system. For many survivors, the reactive part of the brain is in charge much of the time (3-2-1). The responsive, proactive, concept-oriented part of the brain (1-2-3), the part of the brain that initiates gratitude, may be mostly on the sidelines.
The difficulty of engaging in exercises requiring robust involvement of the upper brain (1-2-3) leaves many trauma survivors feeling even more inadequate.
ETI psychoeducation poster trauma and the brain Source: Dr. Odelya Gertel Kraybill Expressive Trauma Integration™
This is not because they do not try—or do not want—to be positive. Their hyperactive
nervous system holds them in a constant state of anxious
reactiveness. The pain of trauma has left them feeling “not good enough,” ashamed, guilty, injured, and unworthy. Their upper brain is not engaged enough to overcome those feelings and contemplate gratitude on an on-going basis.
One study suggests that there’s another way to get the rewards commonly associated with gratitude. In 2018, Wong et al. conducted the first positive psychological adjunctive intervention for psychotherapy
clients. About 293 adults who were receiving university-based psychotherapy participated in a study and were randomly assigned to three groups:
- A control group that received only psychotherapy.
- A psychotherapy group that also did plus expressive writing focusing on expressing their deepest thoughts and feelings about stressful experiences.
- A psychotherapy group that also did gratitude by writing letters expressing gratitude to others.
At week 4 and week 12 after doing their first writing work, the gratitude writing group reported better mental health than those who were assigned to expressive writing and to the psychotherapy only group.
The authors found, however, that it was not positive self-expression towards oneself or others that made an impact on the participants’ mental health. It was refraining from the use of negative emotion words that explained the difference in mental health between the gratitude writing group and the expressive writing group (Wong et al., 2018). The Key is Not to Try and Change How You Feel
Trying to change how we feel creates a signal that something needs to be changed or fixed in us. This signal is itself so stressful that it can activate the survival mechanism and put us right back into withdrawal.
It is natural of course to want to be positive. None of us wants to feel fear, pain, or anything else that is uncomfortable. But pain and sadness are an unavoidable part of life. They are here to stay. The idea is not to try to change that reality but to expand our capacity to endure it. How Do We Expand the Capacity to Endure Pain?
Compassion is feeling kindness towards others and empathy
for what they are feeling. Self-compassion is feeling kindness towards oneself. Neff (2003) describes self-compassion as “an emotionally positive self-attitude that [can] protect against the negative consequences of self-judgment, isolation, and rumination (such as depression
)” (p. 85).
Neff suggests a three-fold strategy to activate self-compassion: (a) self-kindness—being kind towards oneself instead of self-judging, (b) focusing on common humanity—perceiving one’s experiences as part of the larger human experience rather than as separating and isolating, and (c) mindfulness
—holding painful thoughts and feelings in balanced awareness rather than over-identifying with them (Neff, 2003. p. 85).
Germer and Neff (2015) suggest the following exercise to experience and build self-compassion:
Expanding the Capacity to Endure Pain
- Think of a situation in your life that is difficult, that is causing you stress. Call the situation to mind, and see if you can actually feel the stress and emotional discomfort in your body.
- Now, say to yourself: -This is a moment of suffering (mindfulness) -Suffering is a part of life (common humanity) -May I be kind to myself at this moment (self-kindness) Or: May I give myself the compassion that I need, or May I learn to accept myself as I am, or May I forgive myself, or May I be patient, or May I be xxxxx.
As a trauma therapist and trauma survivor myself, I find self-compassion to be one of the most valuable and difficult practices.
Self-compassion is not about being grateful for everything that is happening to you, nor is it about pitying yourself about your injuries. Rather, it is about getting attuned to how you feel and honoring that feeling, as you are able, without self-judgment.
For the reasons described above, for trauma survivors, positive engagement with oneself is difficult, especially self-kindness. It is difficult for survivors not to judge themselves for all the things they wish they could have or should have done differently. The instinct to want to change, to be “better,” to be “fixed,” dominates the thoughts of many survivors. It manifests as an ongoing self-critique and often interferes with survivors’ relationships with others. The way to expand the capacity to endure pain begins with being open to not being open. Try NOT to change how you feel, think, or sense things. Begin by observing what you are experiencing, whatever stuckness, whatever fearfulness, whatever anxiety or withdrawal, without evaluation. Symbolically, consider this as a research project. Without trying to change anything, gather data on your senses, reactions, and responses. Simplified self-compassion:
ETI Simplified Self-Compassion Exercise:
- As a general rule, remind yourself that you are ALWAYS doing the best that you can at any given moment. Given a choice, you may have responded differently to events at the time of the trauma. But you couldn't. Survival mechanisms took over and helped you do whatever it took to stay alive.
- When you are able not to try and change how you feel, you “expand” your response to what you are feeling. When you criticize yourself you “contract.”
- When it is difficult and painful say: “It’s ok to feel pain, it’s ok to feel xxx” “I don’t like to feel xxx but it is ok to feel xxx.” Saying this helps your nervous system calm down. The more you do it, the more your ability to relax by choice expands.
- Think of a situation in your life that is distressing.
- Ask yourself: (1) What do I feel right now xxxx (awareness—recognizing the feeling)? (2) Rate on a scale of 1-10: How much do you feel this xxxx feeling (1 little – 10 a lot)?
- Say to yourself: (3) xxxx is a part of life, everybody feels like this sometimes (common humanity). (4) It is ok, I am ok. I am xxxx (your name), I am here, I am now, right now I am safe.
- Check in again with the scale of 1-10 to describe how much you feel xxx.
- Repeat until you get to 5 and under.
This introductory exercise is a good way to experiment with self-compassion and expand your capacity to endure pain. Increased ability to live with pain will result in an increased ability to experience joy. The process of trauma integration should target all aspects of wellness (emotional, cognitive, physical, spiritual
, and social). Over time, you will gradually feel less vulnerable to extremes of highs and lows, and experience an overall sense of sustainability (read more about sustainability on this blog
Germer, C. K., & Neff, K. D. (2015). Cultivating self-compassion in trauma survivors. Mindfulness-oriented interventions for trauma: Integrating contemplative practices, 43-58.
Neff, K. (2003). Self-compassion: An alternative conceptualization of a healthy attitude toward oneself. Self and identity, 2(2), 85-101.
Wong, Y. J., Owen, J., Gabana, N. T., Brown, J. W., McInnis, S., Toth, P., & Gilman, L. (2018). Does gratitude writing improve the mental health of psychotherapy clients? Evidence from a randomized controlled trial. Psychotherapy Research, 28(2), 192-202.
submitted by thisgingercake
to TraumaTherapy [link] [comments]
2023.03.29 21:09 FullyHalfBaked I see your plastic NFL helmets and raise you the NFL pencils